The 1955 Defence White Paper said that a future nuclear war would result in a “struggle for survival of the grimmest kind”. This free ‘e.book’ examines how the British Government prepared for that struggle and how it planned to ensure that whatever happened to the country Government would continue.The result of more than 10 years of painstaking research by the leading expert on the subject using hundreds of previously Top Secret government files “To Burlington and Beyond” looks at the development of the massive underground bunker now commonly known as Burlington at Spring Quarry (the ‘Burlington Bunker’), Corsham into the Central Government War Headquarters, tracing its evolution from the Cabinet War Room of the 1940s through the Cold War into the final PYTHON plan.
For convenience it is divided into 4 parts which can be accessed from the menu above or directly:
- Part 1. The Cabinet War Room and Subterfuge
- Part 2. Burlington and the CGWHQ
- Part 3. Python and the end of the Cold War
- Part 4. Additional photographs
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
- you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal non-commercial use only
- you may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material
You may not, except with the author’s express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
This website and its content is copyright of Steve Fox 2012. All rights reserved.